Are you curious about Pinterest Pin Image Size and why it is so different for all other platforms?
Many companies bashed Pinterest image size and felt it was a waste of time for the ‘lack’ of results they were getting a few years back.
One of the big reasons that so many were failing on Pinterest is because they tried to treat Pinterest as a social media site or even worst a place to collect images. (Ugh)
Think of Pinterest Pins as an Ad in a magazine or newspaper. The image needs to catch your eye as well as having the text convey why you should even click on the pin in the first place.
What is unique about Pinterest is that every Pin has a URL destination. You don’t just post pins to Pinterest, you post Pins with intention of getting traffic, leads, sales, and building brand awareness.
Today I am going to walk you through all the best Pin Images sizes for both organic and promoted pin formats.
Let’s get your business sizzling on the Pinterest Platform!
This post has affiliate links that if you choose to purchase or join I will earn a commission at no cost to you.
Standard Pin Image Size
Pinterest says that these specs apply to both standard organic pins and standard promoted pins.
What’s different. Last year Pinterest said that the pin specs were 600px by 900px… still a 2:3 ratio but now it seems they want them a bit wider and longer.
- File type: PNG or JPEG
- Max file size is 10 MB
- Aspect ratio: Still recommend using a 2:3 aspect ratio, or 1000 x 1500 pixels. Pins with an aspect ratio that’s greater than 2:3 might get cut off in people’s feeds.
Character counts for Images:
- Title: Up to 100 characters. Please note that if you don’t fill out a title for your pin, the default will be your Pin description instead.
- Description: Up to 500 characters. Inside of
thisI recommend using at least four hashtags. Improves search ability.
- Only the first 50-60 characters are most likely to show up in the feed, so make sure your most important information goes first. Have at least one keyword in that first sentence. What is the product/pin?
As you can see, not much has changed with Pinterest in regards to its standard image size. The reminder for me is always the character count. My Pinning Ingredients students asking about this inside the training and I love having this post as a resource for them. 🙂
In the image below, the two middle images represent the best Pinterest Image size for the platform. As you can see, one is square and one is more vertical. Either works well on this platform.
Now where things get interesting is with Video!
Last year Pinterest rolled out Promoted videos to all business accounts! I think I was doing back flips this day… or maybe it was cooking a lot of bacon. Who knows… and I know that this is also a HUGE game changer for marketers!
Here is what you need to know about Promoted Video on Pinterest. There are two kinds, Standard and Max Width!
Promoted Video at Standard Width
There are 3 types of video sizes that are doing well with standard with. What I see most on my mobile feed is the 1:1 ratio. More in line with what you would see from YouTube if you post to your Pinterest account. But square seems to be dominating the feed.
Some of the best video tools that are partnered with Pinterest are
Wave.Video – snackable videos that you can create with ease. Perfect for Pinterest because of their unique call to action feature on every video. This was built for video marketing.
Vimeo – became an approved partner of Pinterest also. Fantastic video resource for hosting video, editing video, and now creating Pinterest videos.
Canva – you can create beautiful video pins with canva. From automation to full videos. Their templates are easy to you and give you a lot of creative ideas, which I am always grateful for.
What are you seeing the most of in your mobile feed?
Here is what you need to know about Promoted Video at Standard Width.
Promoted Video at Standard Width:
- File type: either .mp4 or .mov
- Encoding: H.264
- Max file size: Up to 2 GB
- Video Length: Minimum 4 seconds to a Maximum of 15 minutes.
- Aspect ratio: Shorter than 1:2 (width:height), taller than 1.91:1. Pinterest recommends making your videos square (1:1) or vertical (2:3 or 9:16) Below are a few examples of this courtesy of Pinterest.
Character Counts for Promoted Video at Standard Width:
- Title: Up to 100 characters. If you don’t fill out the title for your video then the description will be the default viewers see.
- Description: Up to 500 characters. Also include in your descriptions at lease four hashtags for increase search ability.
- Like images… only the first 50-60 characters will be seen by pinners. So put your best information first with at least one keyword.
There is a new promoted video spec that was rolled out towards the end of 2018 and it allowed for marketers to create a video that filled the entire width of the feed.
Now I will say this… It is eye catching and you CAN’T miss this type of video marketing. When done well, it is beautiful on the Pinterest platform. When done poorly… well, even I get annoyed! LOL.
Let’s take a look at what you need to know for Promoted Pins at max width.
Promoted Video at Maximum Width
What you will see with a maximum width is that this video fill the width of the feed. As you scroll through your mobile Pinterest this type of video ad makes sure that it is visible.
This is what you need to know about this type of promoted video.
Video with Maximum Width
- File type: either .mp4 or .mov
- Encoding: H.264
- Max file size is 2GB or less
- Video Length: Minimum of 4 seconds to a maximum of 15 minutes.
- Aspect ratio: Square (1:1) or widescreen (16:9). Not that maximum width videos can’t exceed the height of a 1:1 aspect ratio. I think the image
belowsgives a really good example. Thanks Pinterest!
Character Count for Promoted Video at Maximum Width:
- Title: up to 100 characters. If you don’t fill out title pinners will see default description. (same as image and promoted video standard)
- Description: Up to 500 characters. Again, include up to four hashtags in your description for searchability.
- The first 50-60 characters are typically what pinners will see, so make sure the most important info is first.
As you can see, there are a lot of similarities between all these promoted pins. And that makes our job of crafting these pins a little easier.
If you are doing a Promoted App Pin it does use the same specs as a standard pin or standard video to promote.
The last type of promoted Pin that you want to be aware of is the promoted carousels pin. This pin is unique in that it slides through the images. The user has the choice as it is depicted with 2 to 5 dots under the image to indicate that you can scroll through this pin. 🙂
Let’s review the specs for this type of promoted pin!
Personally I haven’t run this type of promoted pin yet. And I can see sooooo many uses for it. It’s simple in design and requires that you put your best image forward.
I recommend either creating a photo studio by using a Studio Light Tent. I think this is genius! Plus it is easy to use and setup.
What do you need to know about Promoted Carousels?
Images for Promoted Carousels
- Image count: 2-5 images per Carousel
- File type: PNG or JPEG
- Max file size: 10MB per image
- Aspect ratio: 1:1 or 2:3 – See image below from Pinterest Business
Character Count for Promoted Carousels
- Title: Up to 100 characters. And in this type of pin on the first 30-15 characters will appear for the pinners. This is different from what we have seen with the other promoted pin styles.
- Description: Up to 500 characters. Note that the first 50-60 characters are the most important!
As you can see, Pinterest is opening up a little by allowing for both Square and Vertical pins. Just another unique feature about Pinterest that I love!
Now learn how to write the Perfect Description for your pins.
For me, Pinterest becomes a better visual search engine every day. They have found their groove and place in the world of search and social marketing.
As your Chef… I’ve put together my best secret ingredients for how to use Pinterest to build your business. My favorite tips and tools. I’m gifting this to you… Pinterest Marketing – Secret Ingredients.
Thank you for following me and taking time to ready my posts about Pinterest and online marketing. Two of my favorite things to write about.
If you got value from this, please comment below. Would LOVE to hear from you. Also please share to both Facebook and Pinterest! Thank you!
Yours in Gratitude,
P.S. Hot out of the Marketing Kitchen, my simple recipe for building any business using Pinterest… unless you already have too many leads, too much traffic, and
*Pinterest source for all specs are from Pinterest Business. See article that sourced the images inside this post.